**BREAKING NEWS*** Automatic STEYR HUNTING H5A & Semi Auto LP50 UK Legal (!!!)

9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

peanutslab
Favourite airgun brand ?: FWB
Country where you live ?: UK

#1 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask what is more of a newb question. I used to shoot competively about 25 years ago and am looking to get back into it but with air rifles rather than small bore. So I'm pretty new to air rifles in general. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm interested in HFT and FT as I prefer shooting outside in general. There seems to be more HFT clubs near me (Sussex) than FT and obviously FT appears much more technical so I'm seeing HFT as a potential stepping stone to FT longer term.

I've been trying to get up to speed with air and all the rifle types and have got down to trying to choose between the two rifles in the title. I like to buy quality/buy once rather than get something I'd want to change out rapidly or get frustrated with.

I've been leaning towards the FWB simply as it has more FT/HFT features out of the box, but delving in deeper, neither are perfect, especially considering the modding being carried out on here. It seems that the 9015 Black has to be modified to go 16.3 joules whereas the FT is set up out of the box like this. I imagine then there would be a large delay getting a 9015 and then getting it modified, so that is putting me off the Anschutz even though it's the brand I used to use in the past.

Can anyone make a suggestion, is the FWB 800 Basic FT a decent choice without going full hogg to the more technical FT guns?

Cheers everyone
AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Favourite airgun brand ?: Feinwerkbau 800
Country where you live ?: United-Kingdom

#2 Re: 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:39 pm

I see the dilemma as follows :|

Fwb800 Basic FT (Factory 15.4 Joules) - BUY now and start shooting yesterday ; buy your scope, tins of JSBs, scope rings & other accoutrements & have fun pimping to setting it up in your home & back garden ; join an HFT club asap and meet new people; then attend your first HFT club event in a few weeks/months this year...

Come end of season, if you get on with your Fwb800 Basic like a house on fire...you are presented with other spend possibilities , or not at all. The Spend possibility is to allow you to try FT in the summer of 2018. This means now either getting a full size adult wood or laminate stock from eGun, or having it commissioned by Gary Cane or other UK stock maker. Alternatively, send it off to Jon Harris for his custom alu FT stock. Whilst with him, you could consider Jon modifying the factory Reg, and let Jon do his magic to squeeze and fine tune it.

Versus

9015 Black Soft Touch (Full size or Junior stocks) in 6ft/lb - Need to be Jon Harris tuned to 11.5 ft/lb which means a waiting time of X weeks or months before you see the rifle...by which time - there goes a missed 2017 summer... but instead helping the wife in the garden :( :lol: NB: HOWEVER, if by some miracle Jon has a rifle out of the box in stock .... for the Love of Christ don't hesitate snapping his right arm off and buy it ASAP :mrgreen:

BUT it also depends if Jon has the Junior BST or laminate or full size adult BST (Black Soft Touch) stock ready for you to buy...

To be honest , both guns/barrel set up done as "JH" conversions, you would be splitting hairs between the 2 brands...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Private Message NeilM - viewtopic.php?f=82&t=1628 ; but I know he now shoots a JH 9015 Junior
Attachments
FWB8001.jpg
FWB8005.jpg
DB1HWKDW0AA1OIz.jpg
DB1HXquW0AEfL5m.jpg
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#3 Re: 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:45 pm

A JH Anschutz 9015 Junior BST (Black Soft Touch)
Attachments
413251875.jpg
peanutslab
Favourite airgun brand ?: FWB

#4 Re: 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 pm

That's great practical advice, many thanks. Yes, I want to get shooting soon, and yes, avoiding the Wife is a great driver for that.. :shock: :lol:

I'd love a JH gun if there was one available (hint) however if not I think going for the 800 is probably the best route for the moment.

I know scopes are a personal thing, but any suggestions there too? I've got myself properly confused there, especially in regards to reticles. Again, price is less of an issue, I'd prefer to buy well first up so I can use it to transition HFT-FT if possible. What are the ones above for example?
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#5 Re: 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

The 2 guns are dressed up with Leupold - Hint - gold ring at the front of the scope is the distinguishing brand mark..

The silver scope I think is a Fixed high power mag , custom silver anodize Leupold...not suitable for HFT. These are considered by some Bench Rest & FT shooters , as the Rolex of scopes. ie: Expensive, superb clarity, light transmission, thoroughly consistent etc... the other Leupold on the Fwb is front AO (Adjustable Occular) , perhaps discontinued model..

Only FYI

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... s-35x45mm/

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... s-40x45mm/

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... s-45x45mm/

Leupold Custom.png

TBH, am not familiar with HFT scopes, so recommend you read through this - http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_revi ... e_round_up

Wait till Jon comes along with his opinion...a bit of a glass /scope guru as well who may know more about what reticle is suitable for HFT...
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#6 Re: 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Attachments
Fwb800 Basic.png
Jon
Favourite airgun brand ?: JH

#7 Re: 9015 Black S2 vs FWB 800 Basic FT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm

All the Club Black Soft Touch are accounted for, in fact I am one short.
Laminate Clubs will become available again some time in August.
Heres the good news, theres serious price hikes coming in to effect starting next month and not talking about £50 here and there, dearest adds £400 cheapest £151 to current prices.

Factory P800 I wouldn't go for, they shoot horrible and work out dearer than converting a 10m that does have a stabilisor.
Best ones out there are the JH P800 fully sorted unlike the factory ones.

Personally I would opt for an S400 and learn the ropes.
Scope take a look at Falcon M18, MTC and Hawke over priced, inferior glossed over with hypo advertising.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.

Return to “Anschütz”