AirgunForum.co.uk >> Semi-autos, cartels, agendas...

AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#1 AirgunForum.co.uk >> Semi-autos, cartels, agendas...

Sat May 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Credit: Cloverleaf (UK)

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/sho ... g-the-BASC

"Semi-autos, cartels, agendas and the future of our sport - please join me in supporting the BASC

We all know that things are getting a bit heated with respect to the legality of semi-auto air rifles, and that it seems as though certain elements within our sport are seeking to coerce the Home Office into deeming them illegal, for no other reason than to suit their own questionable agenda.

No matter how you feel about semi-autos this current issue potentially runs a lot deeper than the legality of one type of airgun. Semi-autos arguably represent the "thin end of the wedge" (or more likely the slightly fatter end of the wedge since the thin end has already gone with the introduction of anti-tamper ).

This group already appears to be doing a very good job of manipulating the market (for their own ends and to everyone else's cost) through their unyielding pressure on manufacturers and importers to fit their ill-conceived anti-tamper measures; allegedly using bully-boy tactics upon those who do not submit to their demands despite the fact that AT has absolutely no basis in law.

With this latest attack on semi-autos this self-appointed, solely self-interested group appears to be pushing for even more control within the industry/sport, as well as seeking the ability to influence/dictate the law - something they have absolutely no legitimate right to do IMO.

Allowing certain parties to poke the hornet's nest and ride roughshod over everyone elses interests to suit their own will only strengthen their position and allow them to take more liberties with our sport in the future to further line their own pockets. Today semi-autos are on the hit list. Tomorrow it could be CO2 pistols. Or multi-shot rifles. Or PCP rifles in general. Or something else you might care about...

I fear that if we don't send a strong, collective message to these parties that we won't stand to have our rights trampled in the name of their lust for control, we are giving them the silent nod to continue quietly destroying our sport from the inside for the sake of their own greed.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) has long done a stirling job of standing up for the rights of all British shooters, and will fight for our rights on any issue we care strongly enough about.

If, like me you're disgusted by the idea of a cartel within the industry dictating what we may and may not purchase, who we may purchase it from and how much we should pay, I implore you to join the BASC, and let them know your reasons for doing so. If you're and existing member (or even not a member at all) please take 5 minutes to inform them of your concerns here.

It only needs to be a couple of lines stating something along the lines of:

I am very concerned about the current situation regarding apparent attempts by certain bodies to influence the legal status of semi-auto airguns and the potential for further, wider-reaching consequences of allowing such bodies to influence the law to suit their own agenda. I would welcome the BASC's support in this matter.
You're welcome to copy and paste if you're lazy like me

Even if you're unconcerned by the current situation (which IMO all airgun shooters should be very worried about), there's no question that shooting is under constant attack from many directions and that we're best placed to fight these attacks if we can all stand united behind one very capable body.

IMO the cost of joining the BASC is very reasonable (£50/yr for airgun membership, £72/yr for full membership) and membership brings a wealth of benefit including legal advice and support, insurance and various other perks. It is my sincere belief that the BASC represent by far the most legitimate, unbiased and capable hope we have of protecting our sport now and in the future. Showing your support and taking a step towards safeguarding the future of something you love seems like a no-brainer for the relatively minor cost of 4 or 5 tins of pellets

I've long admired the BASC and have been meaning to become a member for a long time. This week I finally joined to show my support - for the sake of the sport as a whole please consider doing the same.

Behind the dark forces within the trade our biggest enemy is apathy - sadly burying our heads in the sand will not make this issue go away.

Apologies again for another essay (albeit a very important one this time) and thanks for reading "
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#2 Re: AirgunForum.co.uk >> Semi-autos, cartels, agendas...

Sat May 30, 2015 4:45 pm

This could be of interest to some who are in the legal profession, on the side of consumers and EU Free Trade Agreement ;)

credit: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... FX-Monsoon
See Page 2 > http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... soon/page2

Date ? 2009 ...when the LP50 was introduced into UK...and since, sold at UK retail shops

;)

What's going on ??? Who's calling the shots on behalf of a EU "Free Market" ???

:lev
FX Monsoon.png
and this : http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/sho ... nsoon-semi
FX Monsoon - Airgunforum.png
BenGun
Go to Rifle: ISP,Pardini,Feinwerk
Where: Ramsgate

#3 Re: AirgunForum.co.uk >> Semi-autos, cartels, agendas...

Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 am

Ref: Sig Sauer Semi Auto > http://pimpmyairgun.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=1633

I know, bloody joke, those bunch of tossers squalking about the Steyr Hunting 5 Semi Automatic, with every conceivable bit of irrelavant bit of crap why they are illegal. Now they're bringing in these bloody things that look and act like the real thing, it is a fact an SA is an SA, no matter how it cycles, no mater how it gents it power.

They cost 1/5 of what a Steyr H5SA costs, it's about half the length, shoots 30 F---ING rounds to the Steyr 5, at 750fps, has looks that could kill you on the spot.
Now you tell me, what kind of Dick Head would use a Steyr Hunting 5 at £1800-£1900 ( if bought in the UK) in a drive by, when there are these available now,
FFS, they can buy 5 of these now for the same price of one Steyr, bring on the St Valentines Day Massacre, half a dozen yobs in the back of a transit van, kick the doors open and away they go 150 rounds in seconds.

Get lifted or seen with one of these, your village Bobby ain't going to turn up, it's going to be a quick response fire arms unit,and do you really think there going t ask you if it's an air weapon or not.

No there going to shoot first ask questions later. At least with the Steyr it still looks like affair rifle.
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#4 Re: AirgunForum.co.uk >> Semi-autos, cartels, agendas...

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:33 pm

100% agreed with every word.

...and by the way, Sig Sauer is a "Big Boy Co." with undoubtedly deep $$$ pockets for their lawyers and experts, when they chose to introduce this model into the UK ...which means someone or group of officials took their time to examine the product...had no objections to the following:

1. The semi auto feature (even if mechanically double action)

2. The name or product description being labelled "semi auto"

3. That is metal and close enough to the real thing ...could be considered an "immitation fire arm" ... which would warrant a "shoot to kill" order if a civilian were in a tragic circumstance brandishing this willy nilly...

Beggars belief really.

On that basis HO had no objections or reservations..it seems this got rubber stamped approved recently and shops are now flogging it..
BenGun
Go to Rifle: ISP,Pardini,Feinwerk
Where: Ramsgate

#5 Re: AirgunForum.co.uk >> Semi-autos, cartels, agendas...

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:45 pm

On that assumption.
I cant see any one being pulled up for a Steyr Hunting 5 SA.
At least, as was said to me by a serving members of a Fire Arms Unit, that at least the Steyr still looks like an air rifle, and not a fit for combat weapon.

Return to “*** GENERAL CHAT / DISCUSSIONS / NEWS ***”