FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

SDplinker
Go to Rifle: Air Arms
Where: San Diego, CA

#1 FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Am I right that a ton of parts wouldn't be needed to work on a custom build? I know, I know....easier to buy a complete rifle. But I have more time to work at home and learn some machining techniques from a master airgunsmith than I do to go shoot. So I'm thinking of project ideas.

If a custom barrel block was machined that was threaded for a custom alum or Ti tube and reg.... all I may need is the valve, a way to fix it to this new block, an air tube, a barrel, a cocking arrangement and of course a stock. I assume the action attaches to the factory parts by various screws??

I also found a spare P70 "trager" barrel holder and reg. Could go that route too then just need to drill out the trager for more power, fit a reg extension, source a barrel and valve. Thoughts? Sorry, bored at work today :-)

-Casey

Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#2 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Excluding a stock that would knock anyone minimum £1100 to sort.
Could buy a Universal P800 fully sorted qf, rail the lot ready to go for £1700 ish, our prices.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.
AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#3 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Would have been far easier converting a standard 10m P70 breech block over to uprate power mod 16J or 21J > viewtopic.php?f=82&t=825

Have you looked at the exploded diagrams of the Fwb 600 action to check compatibility of parts with the P70 ?

http://www.feinwerkbau.de/de/Service+Do ... eichnungen
SDplinker

#4 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Jon wrote:Excluding a stock that would knock anyone minimum £1100 to sort.
Could buy a Universal P800 fully sorted qf, rail the lot ready to go for £1700 ish, our prices.
1100? Wow. Not what I anticipated. Must be missing something. I have a P70 barrel holder and regulator inbound for $100. Barrel is $150 machined for me. Sort the air tube, valve and stock and should be covered? This is assuming used prices of course. We'll see. May be a fool's errand but i will only try if I can get parts on the cheap.
SDplinker

#5 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:24 pm

AdminMASTER wrote:Would have been far easier converting a standard 10m P70 breech block over to uprate power mod 16J or 21J > viewtopic.php?f=82&t=825

Have you looked at the exploded diagrams of the Fwb 600 action to check compatibility of parts with the P70 ?

http://www.feinwerkbau.de/de/Service+Do ... eichnungen
Easier yes...but far more expensive. I'm still examining the parts diagrams. I'm not seeing any super critical differences other than the cocking linkage parts. Valve is the same. The loading gate and various pins look different but functionally the same. The P70 trager and the valve and the 600 action/trigger should mate up just fine from what I can see.

The whole idea hinges on what I can get the action block for. Over a certain amount it really makes no sense. In that case I'll just look out for a P70 or P70FT. There's no practical reason to do this except to give it a go. I have a perfectly good Steyr but I have way more time to spend on the internet researching than I do shooting so this is how I will pursue it for now. :-)
AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#6 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 pm

MMmmm..

I would completely skip the buy opportunity unless youre happy to sink $$$$ over the long term just based around a P600 breech block.

However , if its like $35.00 incl. P&P, just use it as a paperweight or conversation piece if you can polish up that alu. :D
SDplinker

#7 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:40 pm

OK - scratch that idea. I already bid so maybe I'll just keep it as a piece of art or as the basis of a build 10 years from now after I learn some machining skills.

Have a couple of P70FT's I'm looking at. One bone stock in a laminate stock. The other is a blue alutec that's been modded for 20 ft lb. Looks like a custom reg spacer and quick fill along with a long barrel shroud to quiet it down.

Can anyone tell on this modded one if that looks like a factory FT barrel? I don't recall how the dovetails are cut.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquip ... e=26207446
SDplinker

#8 Re: FWB 600 action as basis for a custom build

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Well, scratch all those previous posts. As luck would have it, Airguns of Arizona had a used P70FT blue alutec come up for sale on their used page. I have no idea what it looks like but described as in Excellent condition. Their used items go quickly so I called and bought it. Now I need to get the Steyr gone :P

I have a Maestro FolloWing on the way and will need to sort a scope rail. May also remove the factory muzzle extensions and add moderator from Rapid Air Weapons so I can shoot at home without scaring people. A guy I know did it on a 603 and it worked great.

Excited!!

-Casey

Return to “Feinwerkbau”