Hawke Sidewinder ED

richardhurst
Go to Rifle: FWB
Where: Stevenage

#1 Hawke Sidewinder ED

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Just ordered the Sidewinder ED scope. Anyone have one? How do you find it?
AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#2 Re: Hawke Sidewinder ED

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Mmmm...

I wish you hadn't :(

Am guessing Its "OK".

For the scope - I made the same mistake 5/6 years ago...buy top air rifle kit...and bought AGS scopes; those are now genuine paperweights as I can't even flog them on eBay...

Shock & horror - there are scopes that cost as much as your Fwb800 :o :!: so, going on that, at 1/3 - the real McCoy starts ...IMHO, at around £700 upwards....

Sightron & Nikko Stirling should have been your first scope on the Fwb. Why ? It's because of the manufacturing capability of the factory...It's all in the quality of the GLASS.

MADE in JAPAN ....(the only model are the 10-50X60 ; all others by Nikko are China glass); think of Nikon or Canon cameras ; well those lenses are pukka (Made in Japan, but assembled in Malaysia, or China is OK, for manual labour reasons.) For my 2 cents - haven't heard of a quality China optics company yet (Ie: GLASS made in China being on par to US or German or Japan glass)

...So avoid all marketing from any scope manufacturer that doesnt specify where the glass is made...

Dont worry...been there, so It is what it is.

If you can , I recommend these chaps > http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/page/4/?po ... o+Stirling at £699 - great value !

for £25 more...you get the illuminated reticle..

Hope that helps ;)
Attachments
Nikko STirling 10-50X60 - GBP699.png
NeilM
Go to Rifle: Whiscombe
Where: Weston-super-Mare

#3 Re: Hawke Sidewinder ED

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:39 am

I think the optical quality is variable. The demo one I tried on the Hawke stand at the Midland Game fair was truly dreadful, but since then two shooters who I respect a lot have told me they are using them and they are working well, so, it seems you pays yer money and takes yer chance.

I'm going to the Shooting Show next month, so I'll take another look.
richardhurst

#4 Re: Hawke Sidewinder ED

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 pm

AdminMASTER wrote:Mmmm...

I wish you hadn't :(

Am guessing Its "OK".

For the scope - I made the same mistake 5/6 years ago...buy top air rifle kit...and bought AGS scopes; those are now genuine paperweights as I can't even flog them on eBay...

Shock & horror - there are scopes that cost as much as your Fwb800 :o :!: so, going on that, at 1/3 - the real McCoy starts ...IMHO, at around £700 upwards....

Sightron & Nikko Stirling should have been your first scope on the Fwb. Why ? It's because of the manufacturing capability of the factory...It's all in the quality of the GLASS.

MADE in JAPAN ....(the only model are the 10-50X60 ; all others by Nikko are China glass); think of Nikon or Canon cameras ; well those lenses are pukka (Made in Japan, but assembled in Malaysia, or China is OK, for manual labour reasons.) For my 2 cents - haven't heard of a quality China optics company yet (Ie: GLASS made in China being on par to US or German or Japan glass)

...So avoid all marketing from any scope manufacturer that doesnt specify where the glass is made...

Dont worry...been there, so It is what it is.

If you can , I recommend these chaps > http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/page/4/?po ... o+Stirling at £699 - great value !

for £25 more...you get the illuminated reticle..

Hope that helps ;)
I looked at the Sightron SIII but no one had them in stock at the old price of £1135 and all new stock coming into the UK have now increased to £1415 so that put it out of my price range. I put the Hawke next to the Nikko and to be honest found it fractionally brighter and clearer when I played around with various magnifications . I think in the past two years Hawke seemed to of upped their game and the ED glass seems good from what I can tell. But lets see what my one is like when it arrives. Cost £799
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#5 Re: Hawke Sidewinder ED

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Made in same factory as the Sightron S3 and latest Niko.

Only had the misfortune to a have a butchers through two both that dark and grainy you struggled to concentrate on what intend aiming at. Image looked nothing like you would expect it to look to the effect you think your pointing scope some where else trying to find target, avoid the marketing over hype.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.
richardhurst

#6 Re: Hawke Sidewinder ED

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Well it's on my FWB and I have no issues with it at all. Very clear and bright and 35 yards through to 50 yards and that was indoors at the range. Illuminated reticle is also nice.

No issues with mine, very happy!
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#7 Re: Hawke Sidewinder ED

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Most scopes will look ok in overhead indoor light, where it counts is knowing what to expect and using outside from dark in to light and vice versa.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.

Return to “*** GENERAL CHAT / DISCUSSIONS / NEWS ***”